Proper way to autoload modules (/etc/rc.modules)?

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Wed Apr 6 20:08:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 12:44 -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> --On Wednesday, April 06, 2005 3:08 PM -0400 Peter Jones
> <pjones at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > But at the same time, once somebody actually starts using this
> > rc.modules.d idea, they're going to quickly discover that they want
> > ordering there, as well, to make sure e.g. the various usb hcd modules
> > are loaded in the order they want.
>
> Does it make sense to mirror the kernel module tree, so that at least only
> modules in the same class, at a given level of the hierarchy, need to worry
> about their relative ordering?

Why would you need to?  It's not search path for the modules that's the
problem -- it's when you have two disks, one on a usb controller using
ehci_hcd and one on a controller using uhci_hcd.  There's no dep on the
module, but the user really cares about which order they get installed
in.

(and usb there is just an example; I know it gets loaded fairly sanely
right now, but I don't feel like hunting for a list of what doesn't ;)

--
        Peter