gnome-vfs not in Rawhide?

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Thu Apr 7 15:31:05 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 04:12:11PM +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:27:08 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > So let's get this straight.. not only do you want gtk1 as part of
> > Core... you want it installed by default as part of the Desktop
> > install?
>
> Yes. Having things work out of the box is the whole point, isn't it?
>
> I don't know. I never explicitly installed it yet it's here, on the other
> hand I upgraded from a previous FC2 install. XMMS is pretty common though.

But everything included does work out of the box.  And newbies have a way
to play music out of the box.  And if you explicitly install something
that requires gtk+, it'll install it. (Say, gnucash.)  And Extras will
be enabled by default, so it's not much different from the upgrade
process.  All sorts of outside programs require making sure that all
sorts of certain libraries are installed.

I don't think it's too much to ask for a user to who wants to install
extra programs to learn how to use yum or some other update program.
They ought to be updating for security anyway.

I'm biased; my feelings for some time have been "Die, XMMS, Die!"  I like
their playlist-based approach much better than Rhythmbox, but their
refusal to move away from gtk+ is frustrating.  I get along perfectly
well without gtk+, and don't like installing it for just one program.
I consider gtk+ inherently broken at this point, for its poor
internationalization support by comparison with gtk2 if nothing else.

John Thacker