gnome-vfs not in Rawhide?

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Thu Apr 7 21:43:14 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 05:11:32PM -0400, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> In other works, some libs are part of the platform. Being part of said
> platform (and gtk+ *was* part of it), it means there's an unwritten
> contract between the developers of the distribution and the developers
> of 3rd party software (be they open source or proprietary, it doesn't
> matter), that people can _depend_ on them being around. And when you
> depend on something, you pretty much *expect* that support to be there.
> Forever. Windows did it, and it serve them well.

And when nothing in Core requires it, what's wrong with moving it to
Extras?  It's still available; it's still built.  Anyone who uses the
packaging system as they're meant to would have no problems pulling it
in to satisfy dependencies.  It would still be around, just not installed
unless someone needs it.  (Just as it would if it lived on in Core.)

As mentioned before, I have a strong bias against the 4 year old gtk+,
and I consider applications that still use it fundamentally broken.
I hope that's not coloring my views too much, but what's wrong with
moving 20 or so GNOME 1.4 and gtk+1.2 (and related) packages over to
Extras once gnucash is ported, and nothing in Core depends on them?

John Thacker