gnome-vfs not in Rawhide?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Apr 11 15:23:23 UTC 2005

On Lun 11 avril 2005 16:56, Paul A. Houle a écrit :

> 	There is something to say for staying on the bleeding edge...
> Particularly if your level of support from the product developers is good
> enough that you can get hard problems fixed rapidly.  If,  on the other
> hand,  you're getting your support from your average vendor (such as a
> certain market leading Linux distribution) you'll need to take a very
> large number if you have a hard problem,  and in the interest of keeping
> your line-of-business system up,  you'll stick with what works.

The problem being in my experience the carefully debugged version-frozen
jvms  do not work that much better in practice. Because no matter what the
people who specify them wish, customers will require their apps to work on
current OSs (current meaning RHEL six months after initial release or
older one with all security patches)

App vendors usually test jvm to death with the OS version they have during
development, then the testing budget is exhausted, and jvms are
"certified" with the following OS releases despite having only cursory app
vendor testing (because no one dares telling the truth to management about
the whole situation, not certifying them would be commercial suicide, and
testing them properly would cost too much).

Not surprisingly, the end result crashes.

The jvms OS vendors ship might not be tuned perfectly but at least they
work and distributions will fix them if they don't. App vendors support
will tell you to use the unsecure underperforming entreprise linux version
that was already old when they tested against it. And that after paying
$$$$ for gold support.

If they don't have the resources to keep their jvm current with OS
releases, they should be honnest and team with jvm/OS vendors (ie push the
fixes they need upstream during their testing phase, and rely on upstream
not to break it afterwards). They do rely on kernel/libc vendor packages,
and they're as impacting performance-wise.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot