Preventing spammers from infiltrating the Red Hat mailing lists

William M. Quarles walrus at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 13 20:48:04 UTC 2005

Paul A. Houle wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:52:22 -0500, Jeffrey C. Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us>
> wrote:
>
>> Yes they do have spiders.  And I'd bet that most of those spiders know
>> how to turn "user at example.com" and many of the other common
>> obfuscations into "user at example.com".
<Snip>

>     This is nuts.

Yes.

>     The best defense against spam is a defense in depth.  It makes sense
> to  filter spam at the mail server and the mail client,  but it also
> makes  sense to prevent one's address from being exposed to spammers.

<snip>

>     Yes,  "user at example.com" is lame,  but you can do a lot better
> by  requiring:
<yada-yada-yada>

Apparently you guys haven't bothered to look at what Gmane actually does
to inhibit the spiders.  It's not just "user at example.com."  They do
that on the website for groups that fail to do the following: they
actually *encrypt* your e-mail address and force the sender to verify
themselves.  Read more.

http://gmane.org/tmda.php

William