default media player

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Sat Apr 16 09:43:39 UTC 2005

Hi,

> There is one (technical) thing that I've seen helix do that at least
> xine-lib'd totem (or a gstreamered rhythmbox for that matter) didn't and
> that was seek in a stream (e.g. lugradio). It makes putting up with
> buffering worthwhile.

If you're talking about HTTP/1.1 streams (which I assume you do - few
servers support RTP-based seeking correctly), then I can tell you Ronald
fixed this the past week.  I've yet to verify it myself (trying to get
test2 installed), but please let us know if this doesn't work correctly
with the most recent versions of gst and totem.

> I doubt this alone is enough to best totem though (small things like
> mousewheeling over the volume moving the control the same way as the rest
> of the desktop and not highlighting the previous url in the open location
> box give totem the edge for me).

Totem is there, integration-wise.  HelixPlayer still has a ways to go.
There's nothing in Fedora's desktop policy that favors hxplay over
totem, afaict.  Totem should be the default.

Thomas

Rising to the top knowing I must fall
Refeather the wings, salt the stings