default media player

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Sat Apr 16 12:08:01 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 11:43, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > There is one (technical) thing that I've seen helix do that at least
> > xine-lib'd totem (or a gstreamered rhythmbox for that matter) didn't and
> > that was seek in a stream (e.g. lugradio). It makes putting up with
> > buffering worthwhile.
>
> If you're talking about HTTP/1.1 streams (which I assume you do - few
> servers support RTP-based seeking correctly), then I can tell you Ronald
> fixed this the past week.  I've yet to verify it myself (trying to get
> test2 installed), but please let us know if this doesn't work correctly
> with the most recent versions of gst and totem.

This is all in the (unstable) 1.1.x branch (HEAD) in Totem CVS and
GStreamer 0.8.x CVS. The releases in Fedora 4 will probably not feature
this yet, unless I backport it.

Talking about bugfix (or, in this case, small-feature) backporting, I'll
happily work on that together with the Fedora gst package maintainer, if
there's any interest. It will require some action from both sides,
though, I'm not going to backport random stuff and then see the patches
just sit there in bugzilla [#136507, #136508, #136512 for FC3, for
example].

Cheers,
Ronald

--