Fedora 4 XEN and Kernel 2.4xenU

Tue Apr 19 17:34:23 UTC 2005

Le lundi 18 avril 2005 à 22:18 +1000, Russell Coker a écrit :
> On Friday 01 April 2005 05:56, Roland Käser <roli at israel-jugendtag.ch> wrote:
> >  >I don't see any particular benefit offered by running a 2.4 kernel in
> >
> > a 2.6 Xen host.
> > Have You ever tried to install a Oracle 9 on "modern" fedora release? I
> > can sing some songs about this crap. (The oracle not the Fedora).
>
> Why would you want to run Oracle on Fedora?  RHEL costs much less than Oracle
> and will make things much easier for you.
>
> You might ask whether a RHEL3 update for Xen will be released (RHEL3 was 2.4
> based while RHEL4 is 2.6 based).  But it's not a question for this list.

If you are a dev shop building apps on top of Oracle (apps that will
then be sold to wealthy corporations that will shell $$$$ for Oracle
licenses) Oracle will let you install as many Oracle setups as you like
(they realise this helps selling their products)

If you want to host these free developer instances on RHEL Red Hat will
enforce through up2date a full license per dev/test system.

When the hardware is liberated intel/amd, Oracle is free, a RHEL license
is not something taken lightly. Especially if you try to optimise
hardware occupation by having multiple separate system images (one for
every Oracle version you want to support, for example) and RHN wants to
charge you one license per system image (even though they are all on the
same physical hardware and can not be run separately)

Now since you can't run RHEL, you will run FC or Centos or whatever. But
once you've qualified your product on this other Linux version, how long
do you think it will take some beancounter to realise you can sell your
product on this other Linux system, and avoid paying RH altogether ?
(remember, less $$$ for RH = more customer $$$ available for your part
of the system)

--
Nicolas Mailhot