java-1.4.2-gcj-compat uninstalls sun jre

Gary Peck gbpeck at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 27 03:02:29 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 03:54:40PM -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> We are pretty much in agreement that rpm/yum are not at fault here, so
> we need a solution in the java package.

On the contrary, based on the emails in this thread and the referenced
bugzilla reports, it seems that the whole problem is caused by rpm. I've
yet to see an explanation of why rpm creates an implicit "Obsoletes: foo
< V-R" for a given package foo-V-R (if this has already been discussed
(say on the rpm list), a pointer would be greatly appreciated). I think
that if I wanted my package to obsolete older versions, I could specify
that explicitly.

gary