Exec-shield and memory randomization

Juho Snellman jsnell at iki.fi
Thu Aug 4 04:43:10 UTC 2005

<arjanv at redhat.com> wrote:
> Nowhere.. it's on for everything. The theory is that randomisation doesn't
> do anything "odd" at all that couldn't happen otherwise. (by for example
> upgrading a few libraries or so)

I believe brk randomization is a new effect.

> So I'd like to get to the bottom of why this app is breaking

SBCL needs to mmap lots of non-relocatable data into certain memory
spaces, and the randomized heap location can overlap with one of these
spaces. I'm sure that making such assumptions about the memory layout
is technically incorrect. Still, this is rather unfortunate as there
seems to be no reasonable way to get the ELF loader to reserve memory
ranges.

--
Juho Snellman