"umount: / is busy"

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Mon Aug 8 06:21:16 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 02:44 +0200, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:

> Sometimes, after a "yum upgrade", I get a message on shutdown saying that
> / is busy and can not be unmounted, leading to a filesystem check on the
> next reboot (or better: a journal replay). So far I have not been able to
> figure out what exactly causes this.

I noticed that it seems to always happen when upgrading glibc, but
perhaps other packages too can trigger it.

It is the reason why I pretty much always do "sync" before "reboot",
"halt" or "poweroff".
It would be nice if "sync" was included in the system scripts, right
before doing umount.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/