rawhide report: 20050810 changes

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Aug 10 22:19:00 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 07:15:23AM +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> > gamin-0.1.5-1
> > -------------
> > * Tue Aug 09 2005 Daniel Veillard <veillard at redhat.com> 0.1.5-1
> > - Improvement of configuration, system wide configuration files and
> >   per filesystem type default
> > - Rewrite of the inotify back-end, reduce resources usage, tuning in
> >   case of busy resources
> > - Documentation updates
> > - Changes to compile inotify back-end on various architectures
> > - Debugging output improvements
>
> Does this mean that inotify is now in the kernel?

  I don't think so, davej is the ultimate person to answer when this will
hit us, but I expect it will be in Fedora Core 5, so ...

> And if so, why is inotify so important?

  Because dnotify has an awful lot of shortcoming. inotify support is compiled
in but it will fallback to dnotify if inotify not supported by teh kernel.

This release also provide system wide configuration files and the ability
to configure the behaviour on a per system type case instead of specific
paths, i.e. it allows more generic rules.
  I will add default system configuration files in further versions
of the package, at the moment best is to follow the documentation if
you need special tuning:

   http://www.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/config.html

Daniel