rawhide report: 20050810 changes

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Thu Aug 11 05:13:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 06:19:00PM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
 > On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 07:15:23AM +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
 > > > - Rewrite of the inotify back-end, reduce resources usage, tuning in
 > >
 > > Does this mean that inotify is now in the kernel?
 >
 >   I don't think so, davej is the ultimate person to answer when this will
 > hit us, but I expect it will be in Fedora Core 5, so ...

It will definitly appear in FC5.  I'll likely backport 2.6.13 to FC4
a little while after it gets released, and *maybe* to FC3 too.

The big problem I'm facing right now with retrofitting old releases
with new kernels is that it breaks various random bits of userspace
each time, and its a mad scramble to get updates pushed out.
By the time we're on top of the situation, upstream is ready to push
out a new release.

Over time, I want to spend *less* time having to worry about the n-2 release,
doing only updates for really critical bugs.  Rebasing the n-1 release
creates more than enough work as it is.  We seem to gain almost as many
(if not more) new bugs as we close older bugs by rebasing, so it's not
a magic bullet.

Cherry picking from ~4000 csets per release to backport to FC3 isn't
going to be fun either, so it's likely I'll just backport the latest
2.6.x.y release back to the older kernels.

		Dave