OGG support [was Re: KDE RedHat project]

Michael Wiktowy mwiktowy at gmx.net
Mon Aug 22 21:59:41 UTC 2005

Rodd Clarkson wrote:

>Being able to say to these people, go to this page and follow the simple
>instructions and you'll be able to use OGG formats would make selling
>the idea of OGG much, much easier.
>

>Rodd

I assume here that we are just talking about ogg audio formats here ...

This page would be a start:
http://www.vorbis.com/software.psp

On there is a plethora of ogg compatible software for many platforms.
In my experience on Win32, WinAmp plays ogg just fine natively. It has
done so for *years*.
The only problem is Windows Media Player chokes on ogg. WMP is awful ...
unfortunately it is the default player  :[
There is a DirectShow plugin that should allow WMP to do ogg but I
haven't had much luck with it ... then again, I haven't had much luck
with WMP playing much.

There also seems to be a Quicktime plugin to do ogg on Win32 and OS X
... that might solve things for our Apple and Windows friends all in one
swell foop.

/Mike