OT: yum truncating

Jack Tanner ihok at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 28 15:35:52 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 8/27/05, Jack Tanner <ihok at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>But long filenames are a fact of life. They're more descriptive, and
>>people like to use them, hardware limitations be damned.
>
> No, the facts of life involve birds and bees.. and Mrs. Garrett.

Mrs Garrison, perhaps? Point taken. :)

> -jef"You want _more_ descriptive... how about we encode every single
> tag into the packagename. You cant get more descriptive than that...

Let's not go to extremes. An 18 character limit or whatever is more than
mildly reminicent of 8.3 DOS filenames. Surely there's a nice middle
ground somewhere.

On my FC4 box that's nowhere near a complete install of all the core
packages, I get

$ rpm -qa | wc -L
52

It'd be nice if rpm and yum could display 52 characters or so.