Adding interrupt handler to FC3

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sun Aug 28 21:50:47 UTC 2005

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 04:09:12PM -0500, fdl at scottl.com wrote:
> Thanks for that info. I had seen that function, but it appears that on Intel
> the requested IRQ must be less than 16. I need to define multiple interrupt
> handlers, and there aren't enough slots <= 16. Any other ideas? There must
> be some way to write an interrupt that can be called by software that is
> about the range imposed by NR_IRQS.

The number of physical interrupts on an x86 platform depends on the bus
and IRQ chip technology in use. It ranges from 8 (PC XT) to 16 (ISA PC, early
PCI) to 240 (APIC using systems).

The tasklet and related code then provide support for pure software event
handlers or events pushed off from the physical IRQ