Pipe dreams: yum-based anaconda a step towards on-line yum-based upgrades?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Dec 1 01:31:14 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 10:35:12PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > But overall, seemed like a pretty successful experiment. And, given the
> > super-short lifespan of FC releases, something I'd really be interested in
> > having as an option.
> I've got plenty of FC4 machines which were upgraded from FC3 or FC2 that
> way. It usually takes a little bit of manual assistance (like installing
> compat-db and/or compat-openssl packages) but works fine.

So, a first cut upgrade-on-the-fly plugin would handle those compat
packages, the problem with packages which conflict with old kernels, and
things like the "oh, you had mozilla -- now you probably want firefox" hack.
And it should know to look for any particular situations where it should
bail -- like LVM1.

Maybe I should go through the anaconda code and make a Catalog of Kludges.
That sounds like a good time. :)