udev slowness and selinux

Jason Dravet dravet at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 1 15:03:22 UTC 2005

There has been some discussion on fedora-selinux-list about udev being
slowed by selinux.  One of the comments about the slowest is the number of
nodes in /dev.  Decrease the number of nodes in /dev and booting would be
faster.  I checked my /dev directory and I think I have found some nodes
that are redundant.  I have 32 ttySXX nodes in /dev.  Please correct me if I
am wrong but ttyS is usually used for serial ports.  On my system I have two
serial ports, both of which are disabled in the bios.  I removed my modem
when I switched to DSL, so shouldn't there be 0 ttyS nodes?  There are 64
ttyXX nodes.  Aren't these the virtual terminals I use to login locally?  If
so shouldn't there only be 7 (Ctrl-F1 through Ctrl-F7)?

The selinux-list group is looking into the issue, but I thought maybe until
a fix is available this is something that could be looked into.  I could be
wrong and all of these nodes could be needed, but is so what are they used
for?

Thanks,
Jason