status of up2date and rhn-applet

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Dec 2 11:24:02 UTC 2005

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 12:02:00PM +0100, Benny Amorsen wrote:

> AT> I really wonder what makes accepting "package replacements" so
> AT> hard, when you accept "kernel functionality replacement". If I
> AT> were to fear about destabilisation of my system, then I would
> AT> place avoiding kernel modules at number 1.
>
> When I later upgrade to FC5, I can be reasonably sure that breakage
> will be limited to the areas where I assumed the risk. In the case of
> the kernel module, there will be no breakage at all, since the
> ipw2200-module will be for an obsolete package by then.
>
> It is not stability of the system (as in, no random OOPSes) that I am
> concerned about. I just want a system that stays close to Fedora Core
> + Extras, so that I can count on the community around Fedora Core +
> Extras.
>
> I think Fedora + ATrpms is different enough to count as a separate
> distribution

There is no Fedora ATrpms Distribution. ATrpms is a software
repository for Fedora Core and RHEL (and RHL, but these are all EOL
now).

> -- one that I have no interest in running. The same goes for Fedora
> + Livna and a few other large repositories. Fedora ATrpms has a
> significantly smaller community around it than Fedora Core + Extras
> does.

So let me encapsulate that: You don't want to use any repos outside of
redhat.com, but you still do want to use single packages found in
these repos.

In such special filter cases, like someone asking for one single
package from a (testing!) repository, I can only say that you will
have to download that package(s) manually and take care of any
explicit and implicit dependencies.

No repo either at redhat.com, or externally, stable, testing or
development, and no depsolver, how smart it may be, can have
mechanisms for everyone's special needs. Otherwise there would be a
subrepo per package.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net