yum plugin suggestion or yum change?

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Mon Dec 5 08:20:09 UTC 2005

Hi,

although I find yum to be an excellent tool, there is one important
thing that I think needs attention.

When updating multiple packages, yum will bail out on dependency error
with a singloe package.

For the development repo i guess this is *just* annoying, but in a
real-life prod style environment, it could mean that security updates
are not applied by the nightly scheduled yum update. Giving crackers
better time to target the systems.

I realize that fixing something like this needs some policies to be
negotiated, since often the dependency problems can be solved in
multiple ways and we need to figure out how to handle such cases. But
wouldn't it be a good idea to try to make yum figure out what packages
to exclude in order to update as much as possible?

/Thomas