yum plugin suggestion or yum change?

Jack Tanner ihok at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 5 15:40:22 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> with this.  Should automated nightly updates be relied on?  Is this
> something Fedora wants to encourage people to do based on security
> best practises?  I certaintly don't automate updates unless I have
> tested the update process on a single system. I then have other
> similiar local systems auto update from a local repository.

Think "Aunt Tillie". She's got one PC, not several. She just wants it to
be safe from the baddies on the intraweb. QA of an update at a time,
with individual QA of each dependency, is not something she is going to
do. The simple desktop use case is to turn on automated nightly updates,
and to let power users and sysadmins turn those off at their own risk.
"Partial" automated updates do make sense for this scenario.