Broken video drivers in new modular X

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn d.jacobfeuerborn at conversis.de
Fri Dec 9 14:54:57 UTC 2005

Erwin Rol wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 13:41 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Erwin Rol wrote:
>>> The radeon driver is still broken, and only works without acceleration
>>> (anything else causes hard lockup of the whole machine).
>>> Will Xorg 7.0.0R3 be available for rawhide ?
>>>
>> Erm, my radeon 9250 works fine for me. Including DRI ppracer, this is on
>> x86_64
>
> But the Radeon 9250 is a RV280 chip and not a RV370 one, I think that's
> why yours works and mine doesn't.

I'm running the radeon driver on a Radeon 9500pro (R300) and I don't see
any crashes but the performance went downhill quite dramatically about a
week or two after the modular release in rawhide. I'm not sure what the
cause of this is but profiling shows that the system spends a lot of time
in the function "fbCopyAreammx" which looks a bit odd to me. Right after
the modular release in rawhide things worked extremely well though and
modular-x + Composite (without shadows and/or translucency though) worked
just as smooth as any WindowsXP desktop out there. That's no longer the
case right now.

Regards,
   Dennis