gstreamer 0.10

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Mon Dec 12 06:08:21 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 20:21 +0000, Naheem Zaffar wrote:
> Fedora has a mission statement to include the latest and greatest
> stable software. Gstreamer 0.10 is such software.

Then by all mean package it up for Extras.  There is always a plan, we
don't just blindly add packages.  At minimum for core there needs to be
an application that pulls it in as of yet all packages that use 0.10 are
not stable.  I have been investigating it and right now apps just work
better with 0.8.  That is not to say I don't want to get it in, it will
eventually land in core and packaging it up now might accelerate the
porting of apps but, right now I don't know when I will have time to get
to it.  If someone packages it up for extras it makes it that much
easier for me to pull it into core, otherwise be patient.

> If there is a big compatibility issue, maybe also release gstreamer
> 0.8 as a gstreamer-compat (maybe in extras)? both are parallel
> installable.

I would rather have just one library, we are trying to manage the size
of core but if fc5 rolls around and we need both we will ship both.

> This would force people to migrate faster to an updated platform, and
> gstreamer is supposed to have many updates that fix many problems.

> Even plugins are divided into three parts. Good: well written plugins
> without legal/lincensing issues. Bad: well written plugins with either
> patent/licence problems. Ugly: ugly code. once cleaned up wil go into
> good or bad depending on relevant issues.

Yes this is great but it also means we need to spend some time on
packaging it and having it play nice with the old gstreamer packages.
As I said it would be great to get this into extras since it will leave
me time to figure out how we are going to integrate it into core.

> I did not think there would be a day fedora would shy away from the
> latest stuff. If there are problesm, well that is the point of rawhide
> and test releases.

Cart before the horse though.  We don't just throw thing in.  The
modular X releases went through a lot before they made it into rawhide.