Installing glib2-2.6.6-1 on FC3?

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Fri Dec 16 08:43:56 UTC 2005

Axel Thimm wrote:

>On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 11:02:42PM -0700, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>

>>I need to be able to build gdm-2.13.0.3 on FC3 to check some
>>features and develop a couple of fixes that I naively volunteered
>>to do, but...  it seems that gdm-2.13 requires glib2-2.6.0 or better.
>>
>>Can I safely install glib2-2.6.6 on FC3 (using the RPMS on atrpms.net)
>>or will that bugger things up badly?
>>

>I would have to admit to be biased. It was promoted to the stable
>section of ATrpms some ages ago after QAing it in bleeding and testing
>repos, and several thousand of users are productively using it.
>
>And even if you don't take my word: The nice thing about packages is
>that they can be cast back to their previous version. :)

Well, I tried the following:

# rpm -vv -e --nodeps glib2-2.4.8-1.fc3 glib2-devel-2.4.8-1.fc3.i386
# rpm -v -i http://dl.atrpms.net/all/glib2-2.6.6-1_12.rhfc3.at.i386.rpm
http://dl.atrpms.net/all/libglib-2.0_0-2.6.6-1_12.rhfc3.at.i386.rpm
http://dl.atrpms.net/all/libgthread-2.0_0-2.6.6-1_12.rhfc3.at.i386.rpm
http://dl.atrpms.net/all/libgobject-2.0_0-2.6.6-1_12.rhfc3.at.i386.rpm
http://dl.atrpms.net/all/libgmodule-2.0_0-2.6.6-1_12.rhfc3.at.i386.rpm
http://dl.atrpms.net/all/glib2-devel-2.6.6-1_12.rhfc3.at.i386.rpm

and it installed, but...

Trying to do a build of GDM blew up, and I suspect other things will
eventually over time as well (which reminds me: is there a good way to
exorcise programs that dynamically link to glib2 and make sure they
all perform in a reasonably sane manner?):

# ./autogen.sh
/usr/bin/gnome-autogen.sh
checking for autoconf >= 2.53...
  testing autoconf2.50... not found.
  testing autoconf... found 2.59
checking for automake >= 1.5...
  testing automake-1.9... found 1.9.2
checking for libtool >= 1.4.3...
  testing libtoolize... found 1.5.6
checking for glib-gettext >= 2.2.0...
  testing glib-gettextize... not found.
***Error***: You must have glib-gettext >= 2.2.0 installed
  to build GDM.  Download the appropriate package for
  from your distribution or get the source tarball at
    ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.2/glib-2.2.0.tar.gz

checking for intltool >= 0.25...
  testing intltoolize... found 0.31.2
checking for pkg-config >= 0.14.0...
  testing pkg-config... found 0.15.0
checking for gnome-doc-utils >= 0.4.2...
  testing gnome-doc-prepare... found 0.5.1
Checking for required M4 macros...
  glib-gettext.m4 not found
Checking for forbidden M4 macros...
***Error***: some autoconf macros required to build GDM
  were not found in your aclocal path, or some forbidden
  macros were found.  Perhaps you need to adjust your
  ACLOCAL_FLAGS?

#

I'll grab glib-2.2.3.tar.bz2, but I don't know about some of these
other issues.

Anyone have a .spec file to build GDM 2.13.0.3 on FC3 or any
suggestions on how to go about that?

Thanks,

-Philip