USB drive REformatting -reg

Steven Howe howe.steven at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 17:52:33 UTC 2005

It's ready to use under Win98 and above. YOU DONT need to reformat. Also
any
speed increase you might expect to see after reformating under ext2 wont
be there.
USB isn't that fast, nor do they have the large onboard cache that
harddisk do.

The only issue you might see is the ownership one. Window's disk format
does
not recognize file ownership. So who ever mount's it owns it. Dismount,
mount as
a different user and that user will 'own' the files.

Onto mounting.
command prompt:
if a mount point does not exist ... make one
    mkdir /mnt/flash

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash   # root owns this

or add an entry in your /etc/fstab file:
/dev/sda1                /mnt/flash          auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

if the hotplug utility worked correctly, then the person on the X-Window
Console will
own the device /dev/sda1. They a user can mount the device, either
through the gui
or in a command window (like above).

Good luck and Merry Christmas

Steven