yum downloads need revamping

Otto Haliburton ottohaliburton at comcast.net
Tue Dec 20 16:04:09 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 10:48 -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 12/20/05, Otto Haliburton <ottohaliburton at comcast.net> wrote:
> > well, i can agree with you if fedora was a production system, as far as
> > I know it is a development system and the object is to select a complete
> > download,
>
> Pretty sure noone sane thinks an "everything" install is a good idea.
> But you are free to continue to attempt them.
>
> >and I guess you must pay the penalty for that, the problem
> > also occurs with the kde update too.  I think that there should be a
> > solution that allows you to select.
>
> As much as I hate agreeing with Steenholdt.. and let me assure you i
> hate having to do it it... i have to agree with him on this, because
> of the way the language packages for openoffice are packaged you can't
> avoid updating the langpacks at all.
>
> I think you have a poor understanding of how package dependancies
> work. So let me take a moment to step through what is going on here.
> In the case of the openoffice language packages the dependancy is
> versioned so that language packages are tied to a specific version of
> openoffice. You can not selectively choose which language packages to
> update without breaking dependancies. Yum is not going to be
> re-designed to let you break dependancies to avoid updating language
> packages...forget you ever had the thought.
>
> Example.. on fc4 right now:
> repoquery --requires openoffice.org-langpack-he_IL
> openoffice.org-core = 1:2.0.1-143.2.1   <------ VERSIONED DEPENDANCY
> same thing on rawhide too:
> repoquery --repoid=development --requires openoffice.org-langpack-he_IL
> openoffice.org-core = 1:2.0.1.1-1.2
>
> Back on that fc4 system, if I have the package
> openoffice.org-langpack-he_IL installed and I want to update
> openoffice.org-core to version 2.0.1-143.2.1 the dependancy situation
> demands that I also update the language package. Yum isn't going to
> allow you to delibrately break explicit dependancy chains... no way...
> no how.
>
> -jef

let me go even further cause basically i agree with you and when i
started this discussion I realized that note i put for discussion and
development.  The problem is I went in and checked my package management
stuff and guess what I had gone in and disabled language support, when i
reenabled it I found that alot of the languages were selected, but I
disabled it again somehow someway this is getting over ridden.  About a
month or so ago openoffice was updated and I didn't have this particular
update of all the languages, but it got updated again and now I have all
of the languages so something has changed.  Anyway, that doesn't change
the fact that there should be solution that will allow the best of all
worlds, as to the dependacies, i should be able to update the
dependancies for all language without updating the languages themselves,
get my drift.
--
Otto Haliburton <ottohaliburton at comcast.net>