rawhide report: 20051221 changes - X server removed

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Wed Dec 21 13:44:07 UTC 2005

Joachim Frieben wrote:
> Strange things are going on at Red Hat:
>
> - consumption of psychedelic substances by Red Hat developers
>   exhibiting through the new bubble style artwork. ;o)
>
> - today's updates applied through "pup" -removed- the
>   "xorg-x11-server-Xorg" package
>
> - "kernel-devel" and "kernel-doc" got updated but not the "kernel"
>   package itself
>
> - kernels  2.6.14-1.1777_FC5 and 2.6.14-1.1777_FC5 do not honour
>   the "single" boot option as previous kernels did.
>
> Strange days, indeed ... .

I did just try with 1 as a kernel command line option and notices
something rather strange. init acknowledges the 1 flags and says

INIT: going to single user mode (or something to that end)

the on the next line it continues

INIT: booting to runlevel 5 (again not exact string, but something similar)

I'm guessing the new init has some sort of problem? Or /etc/rc.d/rc is
perhaps not handling something properly?

I can't seem to recall exactly where, what is supposed to happen.

/Thomas