Royalty free gstreamer plug-in

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Fri Dec 23 12:41:31 UTC 2005

Gianluca Sforna wrote:

>Hi all,
>is this announce from Fluendo referenced here:
>http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=13078
>already being discussed at Fedora Legal?
>
>It would be really nice to finally have mp3 support OUTB in Fedora.

Thats what I thought too initially but unfortunately it doesnt change
the Free software situation even a tiny bit and consequently Fedora
probably wont ship this plugin.  see
http://www.fluendo.com/resources/fluendo_mp3.php.

"If you are living in a country where the mp3 patents don't apply you
can of course use the source code provided by Fluendo (or anyone else)
to get legal mp3 support onto your Unix/GNU/Linux desktop."

If you want mp3 support in a region where software patents are enforced
you could use any recent version of RealPlayer or you can buy a
proprietary plugin from Fluendo and all your gstreamer enabled
application would potentially work seamlessly. Since gstreamer is sort
of the Free desktop standard with GNOME and increasingly KDE and many
other applications using it, this might be good news for them.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and all opinions expressed by me have so
far are my own.

--
Rahul

Learn. Network. Experience open source.
Red Hat Summit Nashville  |  May 30 - June 2, 2006
Learn more: http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/