Royalty free gstreamer plug-in

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 20:59:13 UTC 2005

On 12/23/05, Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at apestaart.org> wrote:
> Also, when was the last time that in a traditional closed software offer
> you could see the source, make changes to it, submit the changes, and
> get legal use out of your changes by using the next version of the
> binary that gets released ?

As i've mentioned elsewhere... the inability to patch as needed
downstream without upstream authorization is probably a deal breaker
without invoking the rights of downstream rebuilders who want to use
Fedora sources.  A Fedora maintainer would need to have the
flexibility  and authority to patch for security/compatibility on a
timescale faster than upstream might be able to respond.  A
requirement for any patches to be submitted back to upstream isn't
unreasonable to me. But having to wait for upstream to formally bless
them and re-incorporate them is going to be a maintenance burden.
This I believe is one of  problems which keeps pine out of Fedora.

-jef