Royalty free gstreamer plug-in

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Dec 23 21:03:02 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 11:35 -0600, Patrick Barnes wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On 12/23/05, Patrick Barnes <nman64 at n-man.com> wrote:
> > > Also, this solution is GPL-incompatible, meaning we
> > > can't integrate this plugin with GPL software.
> >
> > who cares.... we have lots of GPL incompatible code in Fedora. I don't
> > even know why you bring this up. gst is LGPL and we are talking about
> > a runtime detected plugin to gst.
> >
> > -jef
> >

> This affects the players, too.  Theoretically, by law, we could not use
> this plugin with Rhythmbox, but we could with Totem.

Rhythmbox uses gstreamer, it would be gstreamer that uses the plugin.
Rhythmbox does not link against the plugin, does not require the plugin,
etc. For that matter - neither does gstreamer.

I don't think there would be a legal problem.
If there was - can I use my X11 server which is MIT to display an emacs
window? What about emacs opening an X11 window?

I don't see a difference between that and rhythmbox using gstreamer
(lgp) which talks to this plugin.