FC5 and Yum Plugins

Brian Long brilong at cisco.com
Thu Dec 29 14:21:28 UTC 2005

I was wondering what folks thought about including a few yum plugins
out-of-the-box on FC5.  I've got a MythTV setup a home running FC4, but
I add ATRPMS and FreshRPMs repos to be able to easily install MythTV and
satisfy its requirements.  I believe other users of Fedora are in the
same boat; we have to use third-party repos but we don't want them ever
overriding Fedora RPMs.

I've manually installed the "protectbase" and "fastestmirror" plugins
from the yum-utils tarball (they are not included in the yum-utils RPM
or subpackages yet).

I would think installing protectbase by default on FC5 and protecting
all Fedora official repos would be excellent.  I added protect=1 to
fedora.repo, fedora-updates.repo and fedora-extras.repo after making
sure the plugin was enabled and yum.conf had "plugins=1".  This allows
me to run the following command without AtRPMS changing any RPMs that
are included in [base], [updates] or [extras]:

yum --enablerepo=atrpms --enablerepo=freshrpms update

Normally, I have atrpms and freshrpms disabled; base, updates and extras
are enabled.  Without protectbase installed, atrpms wants to provide
updates to xorg-X11 and various other packages which I don't want.
However, it provides a bunch of MythTV updates I do want (about 30 RPMs
or so).  Since I don't want to iterate manually through all the MythTV
updates, I find protectbase a good compromise.

I would think it would be in the best interest of the Fedora team to
install protectbase by default, enable it and protect Fedora repos.  If
power users want to disable it, it's very easy.

Am I off-base in this request?  :)

/Brian/
--
       Brian Long                      |         |           |
       IT Data Center Systems          |       .|||.       .|||.