vmware player direct3d

Peter Quiring pquiring at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 29 18:31:42 UTC 2005

I've recently downloaded vmware player from vmware.com and it works with
Fedora Core 5 test1.
Using some sample images from their website (Browser-Appliance) I
managed to edit the vmx file and make it boot from a cdrom and installed
Win2000Pro (had to change the scsi type from lsilogic to buslogic).  It
works!  100% free!  I no longer have to boot to Windoze for "some" apps.
Then I learned that they have Direct3D support as well (many claim that
even WC3 works) but it doesn't work for me with FC5.
vmware says it can't create a 3d object and disables 3d support.  I've
downloaded BillardGL from sourceforge compiled and run it without any
problems so I know my GL system is intact.  The only issue I've noticed
is that GL apps don't seem to restore my resolution after exiting
(that's another unrelated issue).  But vmware 1.0.1 doesn't see that GL
is available.  I've also posted this at vmware's discussion forums.
Of course Wine is a better option, and once working again with X11R7 I
will give it a try again, but vmware has it's advantages too.

Any ideas?

Peter