ATrpms and FC5/RHEL5

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sat Dec 31 23:37:59 UTC 2005

Once upon a time, John Ellson <ellson at research.att.com> said:
> However, I doubt that overlaps can be completely eliminated, or that
> it is even desirable to completely eliminate them, so I think it is
> more important to have a clear mechanism to allow the user to control
> the default choice, and to be able to override it if desired.

The best thing would be for the third-party repos to be split into
overlapping and non-overlapping.  Anything that doesn't replace a Core
or Extras package (or require such a package) could go in a
non-overlapping repo and things that does could go in an "alternatives"
repo.

That would leave the choice in the hands of the users; if they just want
to add some compatible software to their Fedora system, they can just
use a third-party base non-overlapping repo.  If they want to replace
Core and/or Extras packages with enhanced/updated/etc. packages from a
third part repo, they use that third-party's alternatives repo.

That still requires some end-user "buy-in"; I might want just one
alternative from a third-party without wanting others, but I don't see
it being practical to make it any finer grained.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>