radical suggestion for fc4 release

Jeff Johnson n3npq at nc.rr.com
Tue Feb 1 00:47:53 UTC 2005

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 19:09 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
>

>>>Oh, no.  *Bad* idea.  It's an attack on the symptom, not the problem.
>>>
>>>If changelogs are bloating the headers yum has to download, then
>>>strip them out when generating the yum headers.
>>>

>>it's not bloating the headers - well not JUST that.
>>
>>I'm also thinking of decreasing the useles space eaten up by them on the
>>cd isos.
>>

>Switching the rpm payload to bzip2 would probably give you much more
>space
>
>FWIW: AFAIK, SuSE uses bzip2 payloads.

Yep, and so does PLD.

Very very very foolish imho, as rpm is rate limited by decompression,
and bzip2 uncompress is known 5-7 times slower than gzip.

BUt feel free to change Fedora Core to "Be just like SuSE" if you want.

PLD (my favorite distro, they are quiet and sensible in Poland ;-), is
considering
reverting to gzip when I pointed out that bzip2 was 5-7 times slower.

Add --stats, any install, run your own benchmark.

Personally, I think LZO might be preferable to either gzip of bzip2.

And the real issue is that zlib/bzip2/LZO are known not to rsync very well.

Well, that is known for gzip fer sure, I believe also true for bzip2/LZO ...

73 de Jeff