system-config-printer

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Tue Feb 1 15:43:00 UTC 2005

> Hi
> >
> > Does anyone have ideas for how system-config-printer should be
> > re-written?
>
> IMO gnome system tools  or something similar are the way forward. a
> whole lot of system-config* only takes care of very basic
> configuration details.  we need  better cross distro gui tools

A quick glance at gnome-system-tools web page and we see that it doesn't
have a printing capplet.  Even then I believe that GST isn't the right
way to go as a whole since it makes us a lot less flexible in certain
ways.  Basically I feel we should be looking forward ask ourselves how
should a system be configured five years from now.  Then again I look at
printer configuration from the users perspective where I just want
things to work without the user configuring anything.  A good sysadmin
tool is needed also but it must work seamlessly with the user tools.  I
have a bunch of ideas and wants for system-config-printer that I will
post later.  Colin Walters and I were discussing the whole printer mess
with Jody from Novell at last years Gnome Summit and we came up with GUP
(Grand Unified Printing) which I believe has a CVS module in Gnome but
it kind of fizzled from there.  Perhaps this is a good time to resurrect
it and do all the work upstream.

--
John (J5) Palmieri
Associate Software Engineer