Fedora Core 4 on PPC (was Re: Fedora Core 4 test 1 freeze ahead)

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Feb 19 03:57:40 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 16:29 -0500, Elliot Lee wrote:
>I'm not yet sure whether we'll have PowerPC included - it would help to
>have someone from that team give a summary of the status of rawhide on
>that arch.

I've just done some playing with rawhide installs, and I think it's well
worth including it for FC4T1 -- we can always drop it later if we really
have to, not that I think that'll be necessary.

It's only really the installer which was in question -- the distro
itself has been fairly solid on PPC since at least FC2, if you could get
it to install.

Anaconda in rawhide is now capable of installing the bootloader
correctly and rendering the system bootable -- unlike in FC3. That was
the biggest problem in the past.

Remaining issues (see tracker BZ #121179):

- Rawhide lacks a 64-bit boot.iso for the Mac G5. That's fixed with the
patch in BZ #149081.

- Autopartitioning doesn't work well. That's partially fixed with the
patch in BZ #121266, but there's a few more relatively minor issues
which could do with being fixed by someone who understands anaconda, or
at least speaks python. The problem is definitely tractable though.

- A few X configuration problems. These should also be relatively easy.
There's an Xautoconfig package from Yellow Dog which gets it right, and
it's just a case of getting system-config-display and/or anaconda to
learn the same tricks.

--
dwmw2