FC4 slimfast slimfest

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Feb 22 02:14:39 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 20:53 -0500, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 02:40:50 +0100, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> > > no but the lang packs for the spellchecker are separate srpms. So
> > > splitting off the non-major languages would be a savings.
> >
> > People will read this as "the typical US" arrogance, ignorance and
> > nationalism.
>
> Well, tell them that the Russian agrees with the American. They can
> blame the Russians for a change. It seems increasingly popular these
> days anyway. :)

I realize, to have entered dangerous political grounds ...

IMO, if you remove one language you must remove all and make all
languages optional (Including English) and reduce Fedora Core to "C".

> Most countries have their own local distros that commonly re-roll
> Fedora to reflect their regional needs, so I don't think making
> spellcheck dictionaries for minor languages a download-only thing for
> vanilla Fedora is a bad idea (let's say minor == fewer than a hundred
> million speakers).

100 mill. speaker? This would exclude large groups and major languages.
You should be aware that i18n for "less spread" languages makes
distributions attractive to "niches".

Ralf