FC4 slimfast slimfest

Harald Hoyer harald at redhat.com
Tue Feb 22 16:56:43 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:56:27 +0100, Ralf Ertzinger
>
>>Unless I am very much mistaken, this is possible right now. If you put all
>>the Java stuff on CD 5 (for example), and do not select any of it in the
>>anaconda, then anaconda will not request the fifth CD, so you do not need
>>it. In a similar way, I'd put all the development stuff on a seperate CD,
>>too (*-devel, gcc), so you'd be able to skip downloading that if you know
>>that you'd want a non-developer desktop, anyway.
>

> Careful, you have to consider the problems of space packing. Moving
> -devel off onto its own cd and java on its own cd.. etc..etc.. might
> actually end up with 6+ partially full cds. Once you start grouping
> things into cds based function there's no garuntee you'll be able to
> pack them as efficiently into the same number of isos.  I'm not saying
> this is a bad idea... im just saying that using this approach to drill
> down to an 1 cd installable desktop.. might end up costing you 7 or 8
> partially full cd iso images in the end if the requirement to ship all
> of Core on isos remains.
>
> -jef

And would it be a problem to end with 8 partially full CDs?

We could also make a 3/4 CD set for every use case and one DVD for the
magazines/books/stores.

What would have then is:

50% of the users only need to download CD 1 and 2
30% install CD 1-3 of their use case
15% install CD 1-4 of their use case
5% want everything (the DVD)

(numbers made up / guessed) :)