Exim as default MTA.

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Feb 22 21:50:46 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 15:15 +0100, Florian La Roche wrote:
>I think exim still has potential to become our future default MTA.

I agree. We really shouldn't be inflicting sendmail on newcomers as the
default MTA. That's a far better candidate for going to Extras, for
those who really want it because they've already suffered the brain
damage its configuration inflicts.

Exim would be a far better default, because it's far easier to configure
and far better documented. In FC4 it ships with TLS enabled by default,
and SMTP AUTH support present but commented out in the specfile. It also
has built-in SpamAssassin support for rejecting spam at SMTP time, which
again is enabled by merely uncommenting it in the specfile.

I keep meaning to add more features there, like relaying all mail to a
smarthost. If we reach a consensus on making the default, I'll make sure
it all gets done.

--
dwmw2