Exim as default MTA.

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Feb 22 23:05:37 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 22:33 +0000, Carwyn Edwards wrote:
>About a two years ago I sat down to evaluate an MTA to replace sendmail
>- I specifically chose postfix because it was simpler to configure from
>the point of view of transitioning from sendmail.

Given that sendmail is widely acknowledged to cause brain damage, that
is hardly a resounding endorsement. :)

Seriously though, I'm not sure it's a criterion we're interested in.

We should be interested in what's easy to use for someone who's entirely
new to it. If they're already running sendmail, they can continue to use
sendmail -- and if they don't want to do so, they can make a choice
about what to replace it with.

Our default should be what's best for the newbie; not for the sendmail
victim in recovery.

I think Alan's wrong to suggest that there's no middle ground between
caring about how easy stuff is to configure, and needing a complete
point-and-drool configuration GUI for it. We don't _have_ a GUI
configuration tool for any MTA, but we do have a web browser and the
excellent and fully indexed Exim documentation, and a bunch of useful
default features commented out but ready to use in the default config
file.

--
dwmw2