Exim as default MTA.

Stan Bubrouski stan at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Feb 23 15:23:28 UTC 2005

Florin Andrei wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 21:50 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 15:15 +0100, Florian La Roche wrote:
>>
>>>I think exim still has potential to become our future default MTA.
>

> <sigh>
>
> Here we go again.

I was just thinking the same thing myself.

>>I agree. We really shouldn't be inflicting sendmail on newcomers as the
>>default MTA. That's a far better candidate for going to Extras, for
>>those who really want it because they've already suffered the brain
>>damage its configuration inflicts.
>>Exim would be a far better default, because it's far easier to configure
>>and far better documented.
>

> Far easier/better than what? Sendmail? Postfix?
>
> I agree that Sendmail is harder to configure than pretty much any other
> MTA, but as for the documentation part, it's actually pretty damn well
> documented. To say that Sendmail lacks documentation just shows
> ignorance on the subject and makes your whole position much weaker in
> the debate.

He never said sendmail lacks documentation, he said exim and postfix
were better documented.  And they are.  Sendmail's documentation is so
needlessly complex people have it sitting in front of them and still
can't make heads or tails of how to configure it.  So your position just
went out the window.

> Now, i still don't see any rational motive to inflict Exim upon users
> when Postfix is comparable, if not better, on all accounts _and_ has
> been already included for quite a while with Fedora / Red Hat and the
> users are just getting used to it by now.

Both Exim and Postfix were added to RH Linux 6.2 Powertools at the same
time.

> In fact, many Fedora users that i know switch to Postfix immediately
> after installing the OS.

Biased are we?  Not once do you mention why Exim shouldn't be the
default MTA, you merely claim that because you and your friends use
Postfix everyone should?

> Please leave the partisan propaganda aside and start thinking
> rationally.

Look who's talking.  You twisted words, ignored Exim all together,
dissed someone who didn't say what you claimed, and then accuse them of
spreading Exim propoganda while you spread your postfix propaganda.  You
could be a little nicer about it?

That said: my vote is Postfix simply because I like the configuration
files better than Exim.  In terms of my needs both Exim and Postfix have
all the features anyone may need in an MTA.  Sendmail's draconian
configuration files and basically extensive, but confusing documentation
really give a huge boost to Exim and Postfix in general.