FC4 slimfast slimfest

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Wed Feb 23 21:18:46 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:52:35 +0100, Leszek Matok wrote:

> Dnia 23-02-2005, __ro o godzinie 21:16 +0100, Michael Schwendt napisa__
> (a):
> > Then do a better job at educating that person about extra packages and
> > how to get them easily. His choice of words ("stupid") is inappropriate
> > already. More friendlier of him would be to ask about how to add mp3
> > support, in case you had not warned him earlier.
>
> In fact I warn and give instruction how to install xmms-mp3, disable
> librh_mp3.so, install mplayer etc., but only to few of my friends who
> want to try out Linux and can count on my support. I don't sell copies,
> but I can imagine the hell any Fedora CD/DVD seller has to go through :)
>
> The typical user who wants to try out Fedora is disappointed when they
> install for the first time. I for one don't want Linux to be 31337, I
> want it to be seen as an alternative to Windows or MacOS even by
> Windows/MacOS users, and that can happen only if such user doesn't get
> disgusted after even test installation.

Don't you think you are exaggerating a lot here? Not only do you reduce
the target group to "mp3 focused users who are not willing to read and
learn how to add more software", you also judge about the entire
distribution based on one or two missing features. If everything else
works amazingly well and just mp3 support is missing and can be added
quickly, a user is certainly not disgusted. As of FC3, additional
repositories can be added to Yum by clicking on a single package on a
well-configured web server. The graphical package utilities will become
more capable and more user-friendly, too.