Why is sendmail bad?

Chuck R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Feb 24 21:35:00 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 11:45:15AM -0800, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> There seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction with sendmail in the call to
> replace it with Exim or Postfix, but I didn't see any specifics about why
> people object to it. Anyone care to give details?

In my environment, on 99% of all systems, I've never needed anything
but a simple queue-to-smarthost mail sending daemon, with no receive
functionality at all.  Therefore, I don't care which mail daemon is
included, as long as it can do that and supports some type of
/etc/aliases file.  I'd actually prefer to see a simple ssmtp-like
program, but ssmtp doesn't meet those needs (it doesn't queue, doesn't
expand local aliases).

On the 1 or 2 systems that do need a full mail server, our mail admins
roll their own builds/installs of sendmail anyway.