FC3 -> FC4 Upgrade? (was Re: reducing distribution CD count)

Michael Favia michael.favia at insitesinc.com
Fri Feb 25 20:49:17 UTC 2005

seth vidal wrote:

>Mostly to keep the signal/noise ratio down.

Sounds awful elitist and Machiavellian for a community driven project.

>As you can see by this weeks output on f-d-l it's hard to get very far
>with everyone posting even if they don't have much of a dog in the
>fight.

I agree, but then you are just granting the illusion of a community
controlled project arent you? Essentially the real discussion concerning
dev will have been moved to f-m right? I understand that trying to keep
the project moving without all of this "change is bad" and "me too" crap
is important but i think that this "fix"  fails to live up to the
community aspect of the project doesnt it? Essentially your voice doesnt
matter if you arent a maintainer anymore because the other lists will be
read less and less by RH and maintainers over time. As a result you will
lose the community driven nature i think because all of the opinions
batted about will be those of maintainers alone. A moderated white list
of users that conduct themselves in a prescribed manner makes most sense
to me.
-mf