FC3 -> FC4 Upgrade? (was Re: reducing distribution CD count)

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Sat Feb 26 05:03:41 UTC 2005

On Feb 25, 2005, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> wrote:

> I think extras is workable now. If it's not I wonder what I've been
> building every night for the past N weeks.

I'm sure you'd think it's workable.  Let's see:

- you operate one of the biggest mirrors of FC and presumably FE

- even if you didn't have FE locally, you've got a *very* fat
  network pipe at your disposal

- you're the author of the tool that gives most people easy-ish access
  to FE

- you run the FE human build system

That's hardly the case for the typical Fedora user.  In fact, if I
knew there was only one person on Earth (or in the universe!) that was
happy about the usability of the current Fedora Extras, my first guess
would be you, and the second would probably be Bill Gates :-)

This is not meant as an insult or as criticism; I really appreciate
your effort, and thank you for that.  I just don't think your
situation is anywhere close to that of most of our user base, and as
much as you might try to make your views impartial and unaffected by
this, it's very likely to still be very biased.  Moving useful
packages from Fedora Core to Fedora Extras, as it stands, is too hasty
a step.  We should extend the Fedora Core tools such that the Fedora
distribution (by that I wish I could mean Core + Extras) can be
installed and used as such, no matter how fat their network pipe is.