Package pruning for FC4 and beyond

Elliot Lee sopwith at redhat.com
Mon Feb 28 16:51:06 UTC 2005

Eric, thanks for taking on this task! Just a couple of comments

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005, Eric Warnke wrote:

> dovecot - IPAP server - 2 objections, but if you can server to the
> internet, you can download it from extras.  Ether this or cyrus should
> be cut.

cyrus is not as widely useful, so it probably would be moved to Extras if
anything.

> lynx/elinks - 1 objection about scripts using lynx... ether those
> scripts are not part of core or they are not marked correctly.  If you
> can surf the web with either, you can download them from extras.  If
> either has a dependancy in core the .src.rpm needs to be corrected.

A while back I tried to work out the whole "text mode browser" confusion.
There is also w3m in the mix. Each of them has unique attributes for
particular users (blind users, CJK users, etc.) Someone such as yourself
needs to find out all the details, pick the best one or two for the
overall Fedora audience, and move the other(s) to Extras.

Best,
-- Elliot