why doesn't yum cache anything?

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Sat Jan 1 16:31:10 UTC 2005

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 11:48:19AM -0500, seth vidal wrote:

> >   using the reader at the C level, this include decompressing the archive
> > and walking though all nodes. The main cost is to turn the parsed data into
> > Python's internal representation as I said.
> >
> > > than wouldn't be useful to
> > > implement that small portion in C? or it isn't so small part?
> >
> >   The string interning is in the Python lib, probably in C as it's a C API
> > as far as I can tell. And no I din't looked at python internal code.
>
> I'm talking from ignorance here:
>  Would it be possible to speed up the string interning by providing your
> own __repr__ methods in the libxml2 python module?

  Unfortunately that's not where the problem lies assuming I understand
what you suggest, __repr__ is used to make a string representation from
a python object, while the problem we have is about building that python
object (which happen to be a string) based on the C string.
  We should double-check where time is actually spent. Using (k)cachegrind
is very useful to make such an analysis.

Daniel