some changes for (slightly) faster boot

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Jan 5 03:03:49 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 09:58:43PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>   - because you never get a 'this driver is done creating devices'
>     signal, you need to either
>     a) sleep a random amount of time
>     b) run the restore command multiple times

A driver is never done, this is hotplug. I can plug in USB audio any time I
like. Now what could be done if this would help (you tell me as guru of
initscripting) is to tell the userspace "the initial device enumeration
is done". In fact in most cases this would be in the standard pci_foo code.

>      - has made random device nodes for them and trusted
>        that kmod works. So, what exactly was the point of a dynamic
>        /dev then?

Nobody in the kernel world ever thought of udev as a "solely dynamic" world
to my knowledge but as a partially dynamic one.

> [1] Yes, I've seen the examples in udev or the stuff proposed by
>     OSDL. Next joke.

Propose a "Carrier grade udev" project ;)

Alan