CVS kernel compile

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Thu Jan 6 23:28:47 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 07:05 -0600, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 02:01 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 08:02:43PM -0600, Josh Boyer wrote:
> >  >
> >  > make: *** No rule to make target `download', needed by `sources'.  Stop.
> >  >
> >  > I can't find the download target anywhere.  Am I the only one to see
> >
> > Its defined in common/Makefile.common.  Do you have the common dir checked out too?
>
> Yes, I do.  And I think the fact that it's _not_ defined in
> Makefile.common is the problem.  But since I have no idea what that
> target is supposed to do, I can't fix it :).  At least in my cursory
> glance I couldn't find a download target or figure out what it does.
>
> Below is the output from running a 'make sources' done in the devel dir,
> on a fresh checkout of the kernel from this morning.  Colin saw the same
> problem I think, so it's not just me.

Well, I am still seeing the above problem after a fresh checkout of
kernel from CVS as of 15 minutes ago.

I did some poking around with view CVS, and it seems that Arjan added
the 'download' target to the TARGETS list in kernel/devel/Makefile
(version 1.21).

Arjan, can you tell me what the download target is supposed to do, and
why it doesn't work?

josh