what USB-2 CF reader is alleged to work?

Jamie Zawinski jwz at jwz.org
Sat Jan 8 12:45:58 UTC 2005

I'm sorry for asking what you may think is a total newbie question, but
my inability to reliably get pictures off my camera has reached comical
proportions at this point.  In the last few years, I've gone through
permutations of three different motherboards, three different CF
readers, and some subset of RH8, RH9, FC2, and FC3, and to this day, the
best way I've found to get pictures off my camera's card has been "plug
it into my girlfriend's mac, and use scp."

So here is my question:

Are any of you running FC3 and able to get pictures off of a
CompactFlash card at USB-2 speeds?  If so, what CF reader are
you using?  Because I want to go out and buy one of those.

The set of readers I have tried recently are:

  - Dazzle USB 2.0 reader, no model number apparent;
  - SanDisk ImageMate SDDR-31 USB 1.0 reader;
  - (another USB 1.0 reader that I don't have here at the
    moment, but that came with my Canon 10-D camera).

All of them do this when I plug them in (card present or not):

    usb 5-1: new full speed USB device using address 52
    usb 5-1: device not accepting address 52, error -71
    usb 5-1: new full speed USB device using address 53
    usb 5-1: device not accepting address 53, error -71

Both ehci-hcd and uhci_hcd get loaded.  This is after installing
davidz's newly-non-broken version of hald (bug 142183).

The Dazzle doesn't work at all on an OSX Mac, but the other two do.

I have, at various times, seen all three of these work eratically on
previous versions of Linux, though I think the last time was FC2.
I have, in fact, seen the Dazzle work at USB-2 speeds, but not lately.

"Eratically" means that generally they would work immediately after
I rebooted the machine, and I could plug/unplug them right after
that, and they'd continue working; but if I tried to use them again
a few hours later, the only way to make them work would be to reboot
again.  No amount of rmmod would bring joy (though some would bring
complete wedgedness.)

--
Jamie Zawinski      jwz at jwz.org                  http://www.jwz.org/
                    jwz at dnalounge.com      http://www.dnalounge.com/